Thursday, October 4, 2012

Rescue ~ Chapter 1

I could ask a million questions...but instead...I'll just ask, what do you think of Jason? Melody? And what do you think of their relationship? And how is the action/their reaction to when things go wrong? Is the action clear? Flat? Boring?

And ANY other thoughts? 0.0
(Note: The prologue is in the post below this one...you should probably read that first. :P )

~.~.~.~.~.~.~.



Chapter 1

Six months later



 
“Melody! Aren’t you ready, yet?” Jason shouted from the bottom of the stairway.
            “Yeah, just about!”
            “Well, come on! We’re gonna be late.”
            “I’ll just be a minute!”
            Jason drummed his fingers and checked his watch repeatedly until, a moment later, Melody dashed down the stairs, toting her duffle bag, and slammed into him.
            “Okay,” she gasped, stepping back. “Ready.”
            “So soon?” Her brother teased, taking her bag from her hands and letting it dramatically fall to the ground. “What on earth do you have in this thing? I told you not to bring too much. This is a business trip, not a vacation.”
            “I don’t have to much in there.”
            “Then what’s so heavy?” Jason got on his knees and unzipped the bag.
            “Stop it!” Melody shouted, grabbing at his shoulders.
            He shrugged her off and proceeded to go through the contents of her duffle. “Clothes, okay. Too many, but that can’t be what’s so heavy. Do you really need this much makeup?” He looked up at her.
            “Lay off, Jay. Come on, I thought you said we were in a hurry.”
            He ignored her and continued on his search. “You could probably survive without a million wires for your cell phone. iPod. Okay, guess I can understand that. And…what the heck?” Jason pulled a large object from the bottom of her bag.           
            “That’s mine! Seriously, cut it, Jay! Let’s just go.”
            Jason picked up the heavy, black, box and examined it. “Where did you get a bomb proof box? And what’s in it?”
            “That’s my business. Now come on.”
            “We can’t afford to take anything extra, Mel. These bags have to be carry on.”
            “I know, but I need this, okay?” Then she poked out her bottom lip in a pout and clasped her hands under her chin. “Pweez, Jay?”
            Jason shook his head and chuckled, putting the box back where it was and replacing her clothes and makeup case. “Okay, okay. You stinker.” His sister had him wrapped around her little finger and they both knew it. It had been that way ever since his parents had brought her home from the orphanage in Germany, sixteen years before when she was only two.
             “Can I have my bag back?” She said, holding her hand out.
            “Nah, I’ll carry it.”
            “What about your stuff?”
            “It’s already loaded in the truck! I had an extra hour, waiting for you. I seriously don’t know what takes girls so-“
            “Don’t start that again. Come on.”
            Melody took the lead towards the door.
            “Jason! Melody!” An elderly woman ran from the next room and threw her arms around her son’s waste. “I can’t believe you were going to leave without saying goodbye.”
            “We said goodbye last night, Mom.” Jason laughed, holding her in a hug.
            “Don’t laugh at me, mister,” his mother chided. “You may be twenty five, but you’re still my son.”
            “Yes ma’am.” Jason couldn’t help grinning as he watched his mother snatch Melody in a hug. “I still don’t think this is a good idea, but…”
            “Mom, we’ve been over this.” Melody squeezed her mom in a hug and then pulled back and smiled at her.
            “I know.” Tears glistened I the woman’s eyes. “It’s just that…I’ve…you’ve never been this far away from home for so long.”
            “It’s okay, Mom. I’ve got her. And,” Jason checked his watch. “We’re going to miss our flight.”           
            “Okay, then.” She nodded and stepped back, smiling. “I love you two.”
~.~.~.~.~.

            “I appreciate you taking the truck back, Jack.” Jason handed the keys over to his friend at the airport.
            “Not a problem, man. You two have a great time.”
            Melody checked her watch. “Jay, we’re going to be late.”
            “We have plenty of time. Don’t worry.” Jason looked back at his sister as she shifted impatiently.
            “No, I really think we should get going.”
            “Mel? What’s wrong?” Jack looked over Jason’s shoulder.
            “Nothing.” She glanced around then laughed. “Sorry, guess I’m nervous about going away from home.”           
Jack chuckled. “You’re going to Germany. Isn’t that kind of home for you, anyways?”
            Melody shifted again and looked at the ground.
            “What’s wrong with you?” Jason walked over to her. “You feeling okay?”
            “Oh, yeah!” She smiled. “I feel fine.”
            “You…hmmm, okay.”
            “I’m fine, Jay. But we need to get going.”
            “Calm down, just let me get things straightened out with Jack.”
            “I’ve got it, Jason. Don’t worry about it. Just get Mel on the plane before she changes her mind.” Jack laughed and winked at Melody.
            “Thanks, man.” Jason shook his friends hand then picked up his bag and reached for his sister’s.
            She snatched it back. “No, I’ll take it. Thanks.”
            Jason shrugged. “Okay.” He took the lead through the doors, but Melody stood still. He turned and looked at her. “What’s wrong with you? Come on, I thought you were in a hurry.”
            “I-I-Jay…this…”
            “Hey.” He walked over and rubbed her arm. “Don’t worry, okay? I’m with you.”
            Melody nodded. “I know.”
            “I didn’t know you had traveling anxiety.”
            “I don’t!” She looked up at her brother. “It’s…it’s…”
            “Come on, we really do need to get going. You’ll be fine, okay?” He led her through the doors and into the buzzing airport waiting rooms.
            She looked around and took a step back again.
            “Mel, come on. We’re really going to miss our flight.”
            “Just give me a couple minutes.”
            “For what?”
            “I have to go to the bathroom. I’ll be right back.”
            “Okay, but hurry.” Jason reached for her duffle, but she pulled it back again.
            “I’ll take it.” Then she turned and almost ran to the bathroom across the huge room.
            Jason watched her uneasily. What was going on? He knew girls got anxious, but Melody was never one of those kinds of girls. And she’d always acted older than her age. She was the oldest seeming eighteen year old he knew, but right now she was reminding him more of when their parents went on their anniversary trip when she was six and left her with Jason alone for the first time. Maybe it was just that traveling anxiety that he’d heard some people get.
            She returned after only a few minutes with her duffle slung over her shoulder.
            “Isn’t that heavy for you?” Jason asked, walking up to her.
            “No, not really.” She smiled at him. “Thanks, I’m ready now.”
            “Good, we’d better hustle now.”
            They began to run and weave through chairs, suitcases and sleeping layover victims.
            Jason had run on ahead and looked back to see Melody struggling to keep up.
            “Okay, that’s it,” he said, going back to her. “I’m taking your bag.”
            She tried to pull it back, but he snatched it from her hand.
            “Hm.” He looked at the duffle. “Not as heavy as I remembered.”
            The last warning call for passengers to board their flight came over the speakers.
            “Come on!” Melody jogged towards the luggage check and boarding area with Jason following close at her heals.
~.~.~.~.~.~.~.
            Jason wrapped his arm around his sister as he leaned back in his seat and listened to the hum of the plane as it sped through the air.
            Melody leaned her head on his shoulder and sighed. “I’m sorry I was so pathetic at the air port.”
            “Hey, it’s okay.” He squeezed her. “Love ya, Mel.”           
            “Hey, Jay?” She lifted her head and looked at him. “Have you heard from Dad lately?”
            Jason shook his head. “No, I think he’s gone for good, this time.”
            Tears welled up in Melody’s eyes. “But, he’s not like that. He’d get upset, but he always came back. He loves us, Jason. He swore he did and that he’d never leave for good.”
            “I know, I know.” He pulled her back into a hug and kissed the top of her head. “Well, no matter where Dad is, you know I’ll always be right here.”
            She smiled and nestled her head in his shoulder, closing her eyes.
            Suddenly, Melody found herself being thrown from her seat as the plane jerked to the side.
            Jason was on top of her and picked himself up, leaving Melody lying on the floor looking at the ceiling. All around them people were regaining their balance. A woman across from them held onto her screaming two year old while her husband tried to calm her.
            Jason helped Melody get back on her seat.
            “Jason, what was that?” Melody nearly screamed.
            “It’s okay. Wait here.” He stood up and began to walk down the aisle.
            “No! Where are you going?”
            Before he could answer, he was thrown to the side from another violent jerk. He crashed against a seat and rolled down, slamming his head against the floor. His vision flashed in and out as Maggie ran over knelt next to him.
            “Jason! Jason, are you okay?” She leaned over him, holding onto his shoulders.
            He sat up and shook his head. “I’m fine. I’m fine.” He blinked and looked around as, once again, the other passengers scrambled to find something stable to hold onto as the plane began to rock back and forth.
            Jason grabbed onto the armrest on the seat he was next to and wrapped his arms around Melody’s waste.
            “Jason, what is going on?” Melody shrieked.
            “It’s okay, Mel. Just stay still!”
            In minute later, the plane leveled out and there was a clicking noise. A foreign voice come over the speakers. “Everybody remain where you are! One false move will get everyone killed. Get comfortable. We are taking a slight detour. And remember, you get no more warnings. I will be your captain from this point on.”           
            Screams rose from several of the women and mingled with the cries of the children.
            Melody wrapped both arms around her brother and buried her face in his chest, sobbing quietly.
            “Shhhh, it’s okay. It’s going to be okay.” He tried to soothe her. “I’ve got you.”
            “Where are they taking us?”
            “Mel, I don’t know.” He stroked her hair and looked down at her. “You’re just going to have to be calm and ready to do exactly what I say, okay?”
            Melody nodded as tears chased each other down her cheeks and she stared up into Jason’s eyes. They were steady and clear. He was so strong whenever she needed him. If she could just sit there looking into his eyes until this was over, she knew she would be okay.
            But, that wasn’t going to happen. Another jerk forced them to reach for something to hold onto. Only this time they weren’t thrown to the side, but forward.
            Melody scrambled to a window and looked out to see the ground appear. Then get closer and closer.
            “Jason!” She shrieked. “Oh, dear God, help us! Jason! We’re going down!”

3 comments:

  1. Yes. I FINALLY read this.
    Wow. Lots of questions out of that. I like Melody and Jason's relationship. It already feels real and deep even though we haven't had long to observe it. And I'm very curious now about the box in her bag.
    The only thing I noticed worthy of mention was the way she suddenly felt so pressured outside the airport. This seems to be connected to her visit to the bathroom and apparently whatever she did with the box, but at the house Jason was the one who felt in a rush while she was dragging her feet. Maybe you meant that inconsistency...idk.
    Anyway, great work! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, thanks for reading it. :) I told you, no rush. It aint going nowhere. :P
      That's good, thanks. :)
      Hmmm, true. Hadn't thought of that. I'll have to fix that.
      Thanks. :)

      Delete
  2. I love this. @.@ I'm super happy you're posting this, I enjoy reading it so much. I'm a huge fan of Jason and Mel, and their relationship seems very real, except at parts a little too romanticized?

    ReplyDelete