Thursday, October 4, 2012

Rescue ~ Prologue

I have started my new book, Rescue, and I have already gotten farther into it than I have in the romance. :/ Hmph. Poor Maggie and Reed. Anyways...here's the prologue! :D

~.~.~.~.~.



Prologue

            “This is your last warning, Willard! You know what will happen if you don’t deliver.” The heavy accent flowed over the phone.
            “Please, don’t! Just give me a few more months.” Willard's voice shook.
            “Shut up and get it! Or I promise you, you’ll be sorry. But,” there was a chuckle. “Not as sorry as that little daughter of yours.”
            “If you so much as lay a hand on her-”
            “Oh, I won’t. But only as long as you deliver. And not a word of this to anyone or the result will be the same. And I may throw in a bonus for your wife and son. I mean it, Willard.”
            Click.
           
~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.


“Martin Willard! Get back here!” Beth ran down the stairs after her husband.
“I’m going, Beth! Don’t try to stop me this time.”           
“Marty! Marty, please don’t leave!”
            “I’ve had it, Beth! Had it! You can keep the house! You can keep the kids! You can keep every blessed thing! Just let me out!”
            “Daddy, please!” Melody grabbed her father’s arm, tears streaming down her face.
            He turned and looked down at her. His expression softened and his eyes misted. “You be a good girl. You’re all grown up now. You don’t need me. Just be a good girl, okay?”
            “You think that because I’m eighteen I don’t need you any more?” She sobbed.
            “Don’t do this to her, Dad.” Jason walked over and put his hand on his sister’s shoulder.
            Marty pushed Melody away and walked over to his son, looking up at him. Jason was a full head taller and just as strong, but not as thick as his father.
            “Don’t you get wise with me, boy.”
            “She doesn’t need this, Dad! None of us do.”
            Marty threw his hands in the air and stormed to the door, swinging it open and stepping out into the night. “For once in my life, I’m going to do something that I need!”
            With that, he slammed the door and was gone.
 

5 comments:

  1. Wow. That opened right up with sharp action and plenty of questions. I like it, although I was confused some by the switch between the phone call and then the husband leaving like that, and left wondering if there was a connection. But I think maybe that's what you wanted. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! Thanks. :)
      Yeah...it's not supposed to make sense right now. But...well, you're supposed to know that Willard in the phone conversation and the Martin Willard who leaves his family is the same person. Was that not clear?
      Thanks for reading it. :)

      Delete
  2. No, I assumed they were the same Willard. So yes, I think that was clear.
    Hey, I like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay...then this is working out just like I want it. :)
      Well, it's just the prologue. :P But...I guess if the prologue is intriguing...that kinda helps with the rest of the book. I hadn't planned on having a prologue till I finished the first chapter and was still planning the book in my mind. So I went and wrote one in a few minutes and I may change it a little bit...IDK. This might work for what I need now.

      Delete
  3. Oooh, I like this! *scrolls eagerly up to the next post*

    ReplyDelete